Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

With the world in turmoil as we speak and the financial markets still suffering, it's time to take a deep breath and reflect upon that which we give thanks for. My husband and I will enjoy a delicious meal at a restaurant since our kids are scattered throughout the country. I'm thankful that I won't be cooking and will certainly miss the leftovers - but I plan on stopping at my sister's house and mooching off her, so I'm thankful for that.

I'm also grateful for a wonderful family and the five grown kids we have - with spouses, boyfriends and girlfriends and our grandson, Aiden. They keep us much younger than our real years and some of them keep one of us up to date on cutting edge culture. I'm grateful for my sister in law, Bea, who is one of the most amazing women I've ever met and is a role model for staying young and enduring sorrow.

The most heartwarming story of thanksgiving that I've heard is from a friend. She and her husband have been trying for many years to have a baby with no luck. They've had their names on a Chinese adoption list for several years for a little girl. Several months ago, they heard from an adoption agency in another state about a woman who was pregnant and due the end of January 2009. My friend and her husband met with the expectant mother and she picked them to adopt her baby! Last week, my friend got a call that the woman gave birth 2 months early to a 2lb 13oz baby boy. They have visited the mother and baby and the doctors and are now looking forward to taking their new son home when he's ready to leave the hospital. What a most perfect Thanksgiving!

No comments: